I had discussed about simple tips of starting a garden this season, in my preceding blog, I will update the information about some of the many Seasonal flowers that can be grown during this time of year. Either starting with … Continue reading
In this blog I will discuss some of the most easiest and simple tricks to start a garden and maintain it. Many of my friends have problems to start a plant with a seed or difficulties while growing the plant … Continue reading
I hereby return to the blogging world with a topic that is unbelievably easy- to grow houseplants in water. This method is so easy based on the fact of ‘No Work, No Dig, No Weed’. Everyone is aware of growing money … Continue reading
The Lily by William Blake
“The modest Rose puts forth a thorn,
The humble sheep a threat’ning horn:
While the Lily white shall in love delight,
Nor a thorn nor a threat stain her beauty bright.”
How beautifully William Blake describes the true character of a flower in just four lines? The poet explains how a lily flower offers no harm or defense of itself to one who would love it.
Lilies of different kinds are commonly found all across the world. Lilies come in different shapes, sizes and colors. Lilies are really excellent plants for beds and borders.
Growing Lilies is very easy and completely rewarding. Here are some common tips on growing beautiful lilies.
- Lilies are propagated mainly by means of bulbs.
- Lilies can also be grown in containers or outdoors.
- A cool, porous and well-drained soil is essential for the good growth of lilies. Lilies do not require daily watering, but when watering, be sure to water deep enough to reach the bulb.
- Feed the plants with a balanced fertilizer during the growing season.
- Remove stems and foliage when leaves become yellow.
- Lilies will usually thrive for years in the same spot, if well cared for. If short stems of the plants emerge and cause crowding, the clumps should be lifted, carefully pulled apart, and divisions planted elsewhere.
Just before easter my garden is in full blooms with different types of lilies. Have a look and feast your eyes with some of the lilies which are blooming in my garden now.
Happy Easter !
Petunias are very popular flowering annuals. They can be planted in containers, hanging baskets, window boxes & even for garden beds and borders. They are my personal favourites simply because they come in numerous colors and can be planted in several ways in a garden. They add a pop of color to any space.
Instructions on growing and care
- Petunias can be started from seeds. Just sprinkle the seeds and pat them lightly to the soil. After germination wait till they get upto couple of inches then transplat them in containers or the final growing place.
- The plant loves sunlight. Make sure the plant recieves maximum sunlight.
- The soil has to be light and well-drained. I mix finely shredded hay to the soil along with compost to make the soil light.
- Keep the plant well watered. Once the blooms start to appear, just make sure to remove the old and shriveled blooms by pinching it off.
- Fertilize your plants monthly to ensure good growth.
- Try planting different colors of plants together in single container and place it like a center-piece.
Just follow the above regime and you will find yourself astonished with the continuous blooms.
Just before the onset of this winter, I had laboriously worked in my garden in order to get perfect blooms before the holidays. I planted bulbs, seeds, added compost, plucked weeds etc. etc. Basically I worked hard. Well the results of the hardwork is out and here are some of the pictures to show it.
Also the roses that I prunned and fertilized in October (see my previous blog), these roses also seem pretty happy with my hard work!
I’ll be sharing tips and ideas on growing different types of perennials in my next blog. Till then just enjoy the pics!
Ever looked at a Rose so close that it not only appeals the eye but touches the soul. The velvety textures, the delicate arrangement of whorls, the softness , the pleasant colors….
The following poem rightly emotes some of those feelings.
The Rose by Leon Nelkin
When God created his kingdom,
He thought and then he chose
That nothing small,nor anything great
Shall be as lovely as– the Rose.
The morning sun so beautiful,
The evening moon that glows,
The stars that twinkle silently,
Are but shadows to– the Rose.
The birds in grace and splendor,
Every creature that comes and goes,
Elegant in his own respect,
Yet awkward to– the Rose.
O’ the beauties of the universe,
Are endless so I pose,
But none,are,were,or ever shall be,
As lovely as– the Rose.
The center of my garden is occupied by a medium sized mango tree. I recently noticed a new guest arriving rather preparing to arrive on it. None other than a Dove.
The Mourning Dove has recieved its name from the peculiar sound that it makes.
It has beautiful color combination of brown and grey with slight touch of pink. I read some articles online which state that it must be the male bird due to the color of its feathers. Male doves build the nests for the female to lay eggs.
All throughout the day this dove brought twigs and grass.
Jared Carter (a well known american poet), has beautifully described this bird in his poem called Mourning Doves. Here are his few lines:-
“That all my life I have listened to the calls
of mourning doves, have heard them hidden far back
under the eaves, or perched among sycamore branches
their five still notes sometimes lost in the wind
and not known how to answer…”
Hope you enjoyed watching the pics as much as I enjoyed clicking them!